Friday, January 11, 2013

Making Your Own Bubble Gum!

I'm a big gum chewer. Always have been. I'm polite about it, but nothing stops me. I chewed gum in school, while I had braces, even in church. There are three things I never leave home without...tissues, lip balm, and gum. I think you're getting the idea : )

So when Santa brought my son a make-your-own bubble gum kit for Christmas, I was almost as excited as he was. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to make gum, and how basic the ingredients are. It involves skills that are similar to other types of candy making, and a little kneading (think bread). My son enjoyed it so much he said "This would be a great idea for your blog Mom!" He was right, thanks buddy.

The kit Santa brought can be found at MindWare, Brainy Toys For Kids of All Ages for $19.95. Kids can be very involved in making bubble gum with adult supervision, of course. The method the kit recommends is microwaving the gum base. It worked okay, but it took longer to soften the gum base than the instructions indicated, and it hardened very quickly. This time I tried softening/melting the gum base on the stove to see if it stayed soft and warm a bit longer. It worked much better than the microwave.

Here is what you'll need to make your own bubble gum:
POOF-Slinky 0SA257 Scientific Explorer Bubble Gum Factory Kit
  • One Scientific Explorer Bubble Gum Factory Kit
Kit contains:
Confectioner sugar
Corn Syrup
Citric Acid
Watermelon, Blueberry, Mint flavors
Gum Base
2 Note Cards
1 Resealable Plastic Bag
1 Activity Guide
  • Food Coloring (or not)
I doubled the recipe so I started with 2 Tablespoons of gum base.

Then I used the double boiler method on the stove top to heat the gum base. Just cover the gum base with water and heat on low.

Once the gum base is soft and warm, pour off the water.

As long as it isn't too hot, you can blend the gum base by hand. This makes it nice and smooth even though it is quite sticky.

Next I added 2 Teaspoons of corn syrup to the gum base and stirred with a metal spoon. *Tip-If you keep the gum base in the double boiler it will stay soft and pliable.


This is a fun step because you get to add the flavoring. I mixed in 1 Teaspoon of watermelon flavor powder, but you can add more or less depending on your taste.

Let the kneading begin! I put 2 Tablespoons of confectioner/powdered sugar on waxed paper, removed my gum base and began kneading it into the confectioner sugar. It will start out sticky and become less sticky and more firm. You don't have to use all the confectioners sugar, and if the gum becomes too stiff add a few drops of warm water.


Divide your "dough" in equal halves and add a small amount of green food coloring to one half, and pink food coloring to the other half. I'm a big fan of Wilton products, and they have great food/icing colors.

Thoroughly mix the food coloring into the dough by kneading, and flatten out each half with a roller or by hand. Children will grow weary of kneading so be ready to jump in and relieve them to keep this project fun : )

Once flattened out, place the pink gum on top of the green gum and roll into a log.

Lastly, an adult can use a scissor or sharp knife to snip or slice pieces of gum from the log you just rolled. Then place the pieces in a resealable bag to keep fresh. This gum may be firmer than what your used too, but kids don't seem to care. It really comes out lovely and I think you'll be pleased with the results.


I've been down with the flu and complications from the flu, so I'm glad to finally get a post up for you. Thanks for your patience and hope you enjoy it!


Visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MyCreativeMommy and click the "Like" box to become a fan and receive regular updates!

Follow us on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/mycreativemommy

There are about 196 countries in the world, and my goal is to take the whole world on a creative journey one project at a time. So I want to offer many thanks to all my readers in 72 different countries so far... 

The United States, Israel, Canada, Germany, Australia, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, Malaysia, Italy, the Bahamas, the Philippines, Sweden, Egypt, Columbia, the Netherlands, Spain, the Sudan, Turkey, Mexico, Moldova, Denmark, China, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, the Czech Republic, the Ukraine, South Africa, India, Taiwan, Panama, Serbia, Latvia, Argentina, United Arab Emirates, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 
New Zealand, Japan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Chile, 
Romania, Hungary, Portugal, Indonesia, Guernsey, South Korea, Pakistan, Greece, 
Hong Kong, Poland, Slovenia, Lithuania, Ireland, Belgium, Venezuela, Sri Lanka, Macedonia, 
Trinidad & Tobago, Peru, Ghana, Estonia, Dominica, Nepal, Norway, Slovakia, Croatia and Algeria!


Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year,
and Many Blessings,
Jana : )